Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Power of Women in Philippine Culture

In honor of Mother's Day, I want to acknowledge and point out the prominence and importance of women in the Philippine culture.

In the indigenous culture of the Philippines, women played prominent roles in religion, serving as priestesses called babaylan. One can see the "ba" root that is shared with babae and Bathala, or Bahala.

While the Catholic religion and Spanish conquest would espouse the revision of history and the placement of women in less prominent roles, women would never yield their positions. As many people know, the Philippines' Corazon Aquino was President from February 25, 1986, until June 30, 1992, and incumbent Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has been President since January 20, 2001.

In my home, my mother was always the boss in the home, and I have often heard that the women in a Filipino home would manage the household finances. They were masters of their domain, so to speak. My mother ruled with a fair and compassionate fist. In fact, all that I am and all that I ever will be, is thanks to my mother.

No comments: