Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Fiipino American Dream

I was speaking with my friend and he mentioned that he was in the midst of a rivalry with an ex-coworker. He mentioned that his friend, while drinking together, said that he was better than my uncle. Then he said something that really stuck out. "He owns a home but he can not find work."

Later that day, I spoke with another friend who told me that her uncles and aunts kept telling her how to live her life. She said that they did that because her own mother did not own a home and that they thought they were smarter and in a better position in life, being homeowners and what not.

On my way to work earlier this week, I noticed that a home on my block was being put up for auction. This home was owned by a Filipino family. Another Filipino-owned home is for sale and I am not really sure if they lost their mortgage or if they just moved away.

All of these incidents lead me to wonder how the mortgage meltdown has been hitting the Filipino American community. Owning a home seems to be at the top of a typical Filipino family's priorities.

No comments: