Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

Hidden Treasures

I am a fan of books, especially nonfiction, Philippine or Filipino American themed books. I have made it a point to find books that fit these categories. On Saturday, a Borders closed down in the Natomas area of Sacramento, and I went looking for hidden treasures. Among my finds were three copes of Hampton Sides' Ghost Soldiers, which was about the raid on Cabanatuan during World War II, which saved many prisoners of war. The book was adapted into a movie called The Great Raid. Considering that I already have a copy of this book, I bought the 40% off discounted books as gifts for others, so that they may enjoy learning about an important event in Philippine and Filipino American history.

I sometimes find good books at the local Goodwill or thrift store and often frequent http://www.alibris.com, which is a coalition of independent bookstores that are leveraging the internet.

No comments: