Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Filipino-American Musician AJ Rafael Discusses His Roots and New Album




OA: You wrote your first song when you were 15 and you’ve been pursuing music full on the past six years. How has your style evolved from the beginning?


AJR: I’m happy to say this; it’s stayed true to its roots. I first wrote a song and the band Mae inspired it, and it wasn’t typical of an Asian to be singing that type of music. I saw My American Heart and there were two Filipinos in the band and they used to play the Warped Tour all the time. I didn’t know them personally but they influenced my music. All of these Asian guys can do rock, these Filipino guys can do rock. I’m glad it’s stayed there, but that era was really important. I could have easily gone to do R&B, Asian Americans are known for doing that. With the band, I’ve been turning down a lot of shows that just want to book me solo because I want to create that image of, “This is me and this is my music.” It’s not just acoustic anymore, but I still do love acoustic, I want to put out an acoustic album.  I still love that stuff but I want to show them that, “Hey, this is powerful music.” I’ve gotten better at singing. I’m not the type to just put up a video of me singing; I’m more comfortable having an instrument behind me. I feel like I’ve gotten better at singing because I went to Berkelee and being around singers made me better.  I don’t know about the evolution of my music, but the evolution of my skills.

Read the full interview here at The Other Asian......

No comments: