Pages

Friday, May 30, 2008

Alec Mapa From ABC's TV Show Ugly Betty Talks About Gay Marriage Equality In California

Same-sex marriage has just been declared legal in California. Did you have a ceremony?

Yes, we did, and now it's legal. As of an hour or so ago. I just got (on) the phone with him right before I talked to you and he was yelling at me for not picking up the phone too. We've been together for six years; we've been married for two.

Did you get married in Canada?

No, we had a marriage ceremony here in our house. We figured, fuck it, we're not going to wait for the law. There's no law against making a public commitment to your, you know, spouse. So we did it and we registered for gifts. I've been saying that the people in retail are at the forefront in the fight for marriage equality, because we registered at Williams-Sonoma, Crate & Barrel and Macy's and nobody batted an eyelash. On the registration forms at all three of those stores, it now says, not just "bride or groom"; it also says "registrant or co-registrant." I predict that in a couple of years it's going to say "top or pig bottom."

What of those folks who are neither?

Then we will have to come up with different distinctions.

So are you going to remarry?

I don't know. We're kind of on the fence this morning. I'm so ... I don't know what to expect. I've come to expect either thing: I would have been disheartened if the ruling hadn't passed, but I wouldn't have been surprised, because I've seen the political pendulum swing back and forth so many times; I'm thrilled that it has.

My partner and I talked about it. We've been registered as domestic partners, for I don't know how long. We've been together for 29 years in November.

Holy shit. What's your secret?

Short-term memory on my partner's part. I wake him up every morning and introduce myself.

That's good. Kind of like Drew Barrymore in "Fifty First Dates."

I did the Atlantis Cruises all last year; I did about seven of them and I met a lot of couples who have been together 20, 30 years and there just seems to be this kind of genius compatibility and the ability to forgive. The ability to kind of not ... My mom would always say when we were growing up and we were fighting, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" So I asked my husband the other day, when we were having a spat, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" And he said, "I want to be right!"

Read more here at Gay.com....



No comments: