Pages

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Filipino-American Chef Dale Talde Eliminated From Reality TV Show Top Chef

Chef Dale Talde Makes Halo Halo On Top Chef


Filipino cuisine sometimes is not too appealing to the eye. Some dishes take an acquired taste for example balut (unborn duck egg) or diniguan (pigs blood with meat). However, times are slowly changing with the mainstream influence of restaurants that have made it to the United States like Jollibee, Chowking, Max's Manila Chicken, Goldilocks and Jerry's Grill. We even have a Filipina as the main chef at the White House under President Bush.

Recently, we lost one of our own on Bravo's Reality TV Show Top Chef. Filipino-American Chef Dale Talde was eliminated from the competition. He was one bad ass chef with lots of drive and compassion. He even made halo-halo as seen in the YouTube video above.

During his recent interview on Chow.com his statements hit close to home because I could relate to his feelings. Talde is a proud first-generation Filipino-American. He owes his drive and compassion to his parents. As a typical Filipino he has so much respect for his elders and felt like he let them down when he was eliminated. Talde stated, "I wanted to show them I could have won this. I know in my heart that I am more talented than a lot of people that are still on the show. I’m very competitive at sports and to be honest with you, I never really won any championships or anything like that. This would have been a nice one to pull out and say, hey, I actually won this.”

Read more here....
Listen to his interview here....

What are your thoughts? Please comment below....

No comments: